Yield: 2 servings
Time: 25 minutes (5 min prep, 20 min roast)
Whether you are a vegetarian, vegan, want to reduce your environmental footprint, or just need a great side dish, cauliflower and Saucí Romesco are perfect companions. I’ve made it with smaller pieces of roasted cauliflower tossed like a side dish, or more like cauliflower ‘steaks’ that hold down the meal on their own.
The actual work or prep time is minimal, and it’s easy to turn your attention to the rest of the meal or finish up those last 5 (or 100) emails while this roasts. With a jar of Saucí Romesco on hand, you don’t have to think too hard to pull off a flavorful and robust meal.
- 1 cauliflower head
- about 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (nice if it’s in a pourer, to drizzle on)
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2-4 tbsp Saucí Romesco
Make Cauliflower ‘Steaks’:
- Peel off the greens from the base of the cauliflower. Stand upright and cut in half vertically from top to bottom.
- Take each half and cut vertically again about 1/2″ from the the first cut, to make a ‘slab’ of cauliflower (the steaks).
- Cut the remaining part the same way (about 1/2″ vertically), which will likely make a handful of smaller pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
Roast and serve!
- Lay out the slabs on a cookie sheet on aluminum foil for the oven or toaster oven.
- Drizzle the slabs with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Flip them over to repeat on the other side.
- Roast the cauliflower for about 15 minutes, then flip the pieces over to finish for another 5 min. Usually it’s the ‘down’ side that gets the nice browned edges.
- Pull the tray out so you can spoon on 1-2 tbsp Saucí Romesco per steak. Add some fresh mozzarella on top if desired.
- Finish off the cauliflower another 5 min or until the mozzarella is just melted and starting to brown.