‘Scallops and mushrooms with Saucí Gin+Scal’
Yield: 2 servings
Time: 25 minutes
Welcome our new Gin+Scal sauce by making this easy but spectacular, flavorful meal! The Asian notes of the sauce brighten and enliven the delicate scallops beautifully.
Scallops are a treat, and this seemed like the perfect first recipe for our new Gin+Scal sauce. The smooth cashew base, flavorful blend of ginger, scallion, sesame oil, and hint of orange are just wonderful with seafood. Delicate scallops can be nudged into many different flavor territories, this is a nice bright summer direction.
The mushrooms are not only a quick and easy sautée, but it’s the perfect way to incorporate wonderful farmer’s market selections in the meal. Start with a mix of shitake, maitake, and crimini, and move on to Lion’s Mane, Cinnamon Caps, and more exotic varieties.
- about 1 lb scallops
- about 6oz mixed mushrooms, like shitake and maitake
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp butter, divided
- Chopped scallion greens or other herb for garnish
- 2-3 tbsp Saucí Gin+Scal
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil and 1/2 tbsp butter to a medium-hot pan.
- When the butter has melted, add the mushroom mix and stir to coat. Sprinkle a pinch of salt.
- Sauté for about 5 min until soft.
The goal is to cook the scallops briefly in a hot pan so you caramelize the outside and just cook the inside, leaving it soft and delicate not too tough.
- Dry the scallops with paper towels on both sides and sprinkle or grind some salt on both sides.
- Bring a pan to medium-high heat (you may want a non-stick or a good quality stainless steel pan).
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil and 1/2 tbsp butter to the pan to melt.
- When the pan is hot, and the olive oil is shimmering and butter is bubbling, place the scallops in the pan.
- Cook the first side, until nicely browned, then use tongs to turn them over for the other side. Once the outsides have about 1/4″ of browning, the inside should be done, it can be translucent.
- Add 1 tbsp Saucí Gin+Scal to the plates and place the scallops on it or aside it, add the mushroom medley and garnish with chopped scallions or other herbs. Serve immediately.