Yield: 2 servings
Time: 20 min
Lettuce wraps are like taco’s cool cousin. Whether you’re avoiding carbs, spied some spectacular butter lettuce at the market, or just want to shake things up, these steak lettuce wraps are an easy win. I kept it simple here with just steak, onion and pepper in the filling, but you can add whatever else sounds good. Of course, as with tacos, the Saucí Verde takes it over the top!
I used red bell peppers, but a mix could be nice too, and if you only have yellow onion that will work fine as well.
- 1/2- 3/4 pound flank steak cut into strips or cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves chopped plus more for serving
- juice from 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon Dijon or yellow mustard
- 1-2 bell peppers seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- 1 head butter lettuce leaves
- sliced avocado and lime wedges for serving
- 2-3 tbsp grated Cotija cheese for serving
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- Combing all the fajita seasoning ingredients in a bowl, reserve 1-1/2 tsp for the peppers and onions.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil, chopped cilantro, lime juice, mustard and 5 teaspoons of the fajita seasonings to make the marinade. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the steak marinade for drizzling on the steak at the end.
- Pour the remainder of the steak marinade into a large zip-lock bag along with the steak. Distribute the marinade around to cover the steak and allow to sit while you prepare the vegetables.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes, until soft. Add the peppers and sprinkle with the reserved 1-1/2 teaspoons of fajita seasonings. Cook for 3-8 minutes depending how soft you want the peppers. Transfer and set aside on a plate.
- Melt butter on the same skillet and sear the steak for 2-3 minutes per side or until its reached your desired done-ness.
- Add the reserved steak marinade to the skillet and cook until just heated, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Assemble lettuce wraps by placing a spoonful of steak/pepper filling into the center of each leaf, then top with some Saucí Verde, avocado, cilantro and Cotija cheese, or whatever toppings you like!